- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped scallions
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature, or 10 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 3-quart soufflé dish or similar baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Bring milk and scallions to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly,stir slowly sprinkle in cornmeal. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in egg yolks, Parmesan, Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
3. About 45 minutes before serving, beat the 7 egg whites and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Whisk one-fourth of the beaten whites into the cornmeal mixture. With a rubber spatula, fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
4. Bake the puff until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.... great tasting eggs recipe.... mmmm !
See other egg recipes